Sunday, September 29, 2013

Rough Seas at Home

Every notice how, when things seem to be going really well,

all of a sudden.....

something happens....

like this:







No, luckily that isn't Butch's foot.
If it were his foot, there would be lost days at work, no sicktime, no paid vacation......and oh yeah. The cast would be much bigger :)


Sadly, it is mine.
My foot.
My boo boo.
My owie.

So what happened you ask? Well, I stepped backward off my driveway. My heel went down and my toes went up and somewhere in the middle twisted. And I saw stars and nearly threw up. So glamorous is this life I lead.

The ER doc said I had broken my 5th metatarsal or my cuboid.  He was not impressed that my left side of my foot was numb and that I could not move my 3 smallest toes. He gave me Vicodin, which made me cry and sleep a lot. Butch and the Princess say I mumbled and spoke incoherently to myself. (I prefer to think of it as conversing amongst myself.) He also put me in a worthless foam Jesus sandal looking velcro shoe and gave me crutches. (Enter the Vicodin reference...I couldn't use those crutches to save my life. Who could use them, when they are asleep, nauseated, and talking amongst themself?)

I was referred to an ortho surgeon, because the ER doc said I had broken a bone in my foot and damaged some ligaments or tendons. The ortho doctor said the ER doc was crazy. My foot had no breaks anywhere. What I did, was damage a nerve somewhere in that whole "twisting my foot in the middle" part.

He gave me the stylish new Fall boot seen above, told me to stand up straight and wear a good fitting running shoe on my good foot and go home to rest, ice and elevate. WHAT???? A good fitting running shoe? I am SUCH a flip flop girl....but alas, I followed his advice.

So how does this all fit into a blog about being a Tugboat Wife? Largely because this accident occurred while Butch was home, BUT NOW HE IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!! Waaaaaaaaaaah! Who is gonna cinch up my boot for me? Who is gonna wrap my foot in the compression thing? Who is gonna pick up things I drop because I can't squat or bend without tipping over? The Princess of course! She is a HUGE help!

It's hard to be a Tugboat wife in times like this, when I am supposed to be keeping everything going smoothly at home. It's hard to be strong and say it doesn't hurt all that much when I want to scream and kick something with my good foot.  It's hard to accept that my 16 year old is runnig our household this week.

I am blessed. I have church family that have brought food, and my Mama came today and took good care of me. But for the most part, it's just me, the Princess, and the cats. I gotta heal.....and quickly!!! You can't lead a Tugboat Life as a Tugboat Wife who can't even walk!!! But we keep on...not exactly full speed ahead, but limping along the coastline, doing the best we can.


2 comments:

  1. You poor thing! And of course Hubby's not home to help you heal! Well, I wish you a speedy recovery and take advantage of the 16 year old running the house. Maybe you could milk this? Just a thought! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so easy...she catches on too quickly! I have been meaning to tell you I loved the blog post about how you named your blog. That was awesome!

      Delete